We are fundraising to provide free therapy and expand services
Black Men Heal is a nonprofit grassroots organization, whose mission is to provide free access to quality and culturally attending mental health treatment, education, and community resources to underserved communities of color.
- We target men and communities of color because African Americans are 20% more likely to struggle with mental illness and yet 50% less likely to receive treatment.
Black Men Heal eliminates the 3 main barriers that prevent access to care:
Cost- All of our services for the community are free!
Cultural Attending- We recruit and train clinicians of color to match clients with therapists of color!
- Research shows that African Americans prefer to work with providers of color yet only 4% of psychologists are African American.
Stigma- We help to remove the stigma by asking our men to share their stories of how therapy helps with other men in the community.
- Transparency and normalizing therapy helps to kill secrecy and shame that is required for stigma to stay alive.
YOUR DONATION WILL HELP US TO PROVIDE FREE SERVICES, RECRUIT AND TRAIN THERAPISTS OF COLOR ACROSS THE COUNTRY, AND TO EXPAND OUR SERVICES NATIONALLY.
- Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of Death among African Americans age 15- 24 but the highest rate of death is amongst Black Americans age 25-34.
- Suicide rates amongst Black men have increased. In 2020, the death rate for African-American Men are 3 times greater than African American women. Black Male Suicides are rising greater than any other racial group.
- Due to reasons such as racism and poverty, African Americans are 20% more likely to have serious psychological distress than whites are...yet despite the needs, only 30% of Black adults with mental illness receive treatment. .
- Major barriers in treatment access for Black Americans are cost (estimates say 25% of African Americans have no health insurance) and inability to find culturally attending psychologists and clinicians who can relate to their lived experience.